In her book Stir It Up, Rinku Sen gives us a feminist, racially just alternative to Alinksyist organizing, one that includes transparent ideology, popular education and community leadership development. Stir It Up has guided organizers since it was published in 2003, and is still widely taught.
Sen walks readers through the steps of building and mobilizing a constituency and implementing key strategies that can effect social change. The book is filled with illustrative case studies that highlight best organizing practices in action and each chapter contains tools that can help groups tailor Sen’s model for their own organizational needs.
Stir It Up will show your organization how to:
- Design and conduct actions that further campaign goals
- Develop effective leaders
- Build strong alliances and networks
- Generate and use solid research
- Design an effective media strategy
- Put in place a plan for internal political education and consciousness-raising